Winter is coming and it’s time to whip some comfort food! Macaroni and cheese might be the most popular comfort food- at least to any American. Warm, cheesy and creamy, definitely have the ability to keep everyone happy and pleased.
When it comes to macaroni and cheese, homemade is the best! Avoid the boxed stuff at all possible! They are loaded with sodium, preservatives, artificial color and flavor. Even with homemade or restaurant style, it’s only a treat for this girl. Macaroni and cheese is very heavy, fattening and loaded with carbohydrate! How could we make something so tasty into something that is healthy?
Today I made a white truffle carrot macaroni and cheese using chickpea pasta! Loaded with fiber and protein. And it’s gluten free!
Benefits of using chickpea pasta:
Chickpea pasta is gluten-free and unlike traditional pasta, chickpea pasta is packed with protein, fiber, and good carbohydrate that won’t cause you to over eat!
Benefits of using carrots:
To substitute the creamy and gooey texture, I used mashed carrots. Low in fat and high in fiber! And carrots offer many great health benefits including improves vision, prevent cancer, anti- aging, healthier skin, prevent infection, prevent heart disease, cleanses the body and much more!
Benefits of using ghee:
Ghee is a class of clarified butter and it’s commonly used in many cultures as medicine. Unlike butter, ghee has neither casein or lactose and less content of milk solids and water. Great replacement for people who are lactose intolerant.
Ghee is rich in fat soluble vitamin A, D and E, CLA, K2, support weight loss, improve digestion, and reduces inflammation.
How to make white truffle carrot macaroni and cheese?
2 cups of organic chickpea pasta (I used Tolerant)
6 stalks of organic rainbow carrots (I used Cal organic farm)
2 tablespoon of white truffle ghee (I used 4th and Heart)
1/3 cups of organic sharp cheddar cheese (I used Organic Valley)
- In a large pot, pour about 2 inches deep of water and bring it to a boil.
- Place washed carrots in the pot and boil it for about 25-30 minutes until soft at low heat.
- Once the carrots are soft, pour out the excess water and add white truffle ghee butter. With no heat on.
- Mash the carrot in the pot and mix it with white truffle ghee butter.
- Boil the pasta.
- Place the cooked pasta in a pan and mix it with the mash carrots and shredded cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and bake it for 15-20 minutes until the cheese melts.