Fun facts of the week: chocolate
- the smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation
- white chocolate isn’t technically chocolate, as it contains no cocoa.
- The inventor of chocolate chip cookie sold the idea to nestle toll house in return for a lifetime supply of chocolate
- m&ms were created in 1941 as a mean for soldiers to enjoy chocolate without melting it.
- There are potato chips dipped in milk chocolate
- Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by 1/3.
- In 2013, Belgium issued a limited edition of chocolate flavored stamps.
- A lethal dose of chocolate for a human is about 22 lbs.
- The chocolate tree’s scientific name is called Theobroma cocoa or “food of the gods” in Greek.
- The average chocolate bar contains 8 insect parts. And it is deemed safe according to FDA guideline. According to the U.S Food and Drug Administration, “most foods have natural contaminants in them, but there are levels which the FDA deems safe. Anything more than 60 insect pieces per 100 grams of chocolate is rejected by the FDA.
- There is a pill that makes farts smell like chocolate.
- German chocolate cake isn’t German. It is named for Sam German, an American baker.
- Nutella was invented during WWII, when an Italian pastry maker mixed hazelnuts into chocolate to extend his cocoa supply
- The famous chocolate river Augustus Gloop almost drowned in the original Willy Wonka And the Chocolate Factory film was made with 15,000 gallons of water mixed with chocolate and cream. With all the cream, the river spoiled fairly quickly and the cast revealed it left a terrible smell.
- In Mayan time, the cocoa bean was used as currency as it was considered to be worth more than gold dust. Cultivation of the bean was restricted so the value of cocoa beans as money would not go down.
- chocolate has over 600 flavor compounds, while red wine has just 200.
- During the Revolutionary War, soldiers were sometimes paid in chocolate.
- Hershey’s Kisses got their name from the kissing sound the machine that deposits the chocolate on conveyor belt makes.
- Ben and Jerry made the World’s first batch of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in 1984.
- Chocolate milk is an effective post-workout recovery drink. Yep, you read it right!
- Chocolate is not all bad for your teeth. It turns out that theobromine, an organic molecule that occurs naturally in cocoa, can help strengthen tooth enamel. And it works as an anti-bacterial agent!
- Chocolate is a reliable energy booster! Unlike sugary energy drinks, chocolate won’t lead to a crash a few hour later because it contains caffeine and theobromine. The darker the chocolate, the more the energy you will get.
Go get some chocolate!
[amazon_link asins=’B00GDIMCPY,B00654NRG4,B00J9P0VP6,B004S03SZ2,B0026ZYZ7Q,B0083CPUBQ,B00FKNBHF4,B0088OSAZ2,B000VK7RT6,B000LKV7T2′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’US-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’29fd3834-f355-11e7-9a13-470b5ed344f6′]