Summer is here! Strawberry everything, please!
So here is what you need to know about strawberries:
- strawberry is a member of the rose family. Say whatttt….
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring
- The American Indians introduced to the Colonists to strawberries.
- There are 200 seeds on an average strawberry
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, American eat an average of 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries every year! Yep, guilty!
- California produces 75% of strawberry crops in the U.S.
- one cup of strawberries is only 55 calories!
- 94% of U.S. household consumes strawberries.
- 23,000 acres of strawberries are planted in California each year.
- California produces one billion pounds of strawberries each year.
- Florida is second in production. The Florida season runs from December to May and peaks during March and April.
- Ancient Romans believe strawberries had medicinal power.
- May 21-27 is strawberry week in Delaware!
- There is a museum in Belgium dedicated to strawberries.