Purple yam in chocolate chip pie crust!
Nothing beats a pretty and tasty pie around the holiday time 😉
This year’s Christmas, I baked a purple yam pie! Yep, purple yam or known as dioscorea alata or ube. The outside of this yam doesn’t look anything special, just like any other yam. But the inside, it’s beautiful! Too pretty to eat!
If you never had purple yam but always want to try it, purple yam is sweet and it is often used as a natural sweetener in Asian pastries such as cake, pastries and ice cream. Almost like a sweet potato.
Just like another form of starchy vegetables, purple yam contains high carb, fiber, and sugar. Purple yam contains a high level of vitamin A and vitamin C. Each cup of purple yam contains 20% of your daily need for potassium. If you work out regularly, replenishing electrolytes like potassium can help you to feel and perform
better next time. Because purple yam contains dark purple pigment, it could increase and diversify your antioxidants intake that is not found in regular yam.
5-6 Organic purple yam
1 Organic ripe banana
Vegan cookie dough of your choice or pie crust
9 Inch round baking pan
1 Cup of soy milk
1. In a pot, boil water and then boil the yam for about 30-45 minutes until soften
2. Peel the yam
3. Blend the peeled yam and one banana with a cup of soy milk in a blender. Add additional soy milk if needed. You want a thick consistency
4. In a 9-inch pan, smooth out your cookie dough in the pan. If you use pre-made cookie dough, flatten and patch the cookie
dough in the pan
5. Pour the pie filling into the pan
6. At 375 F degree, bake about 15-20 minutes based on what your cookie dough need to bake
And there, you have yourself a purple yam pie!!!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour and 15 minutes
Serving: 4-6 People
Note: no added sugar was tod into pie filling. Purple yam and ripe banana contains natural sugar. The cookie dough will contain enough sugar that will balance out with this filling.
[amazon_link asins=’B00LGLHZNM,B0045EPNBI,B073WP6PMK’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’US-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c6df7110-ed9d-11e7-963b-abc7e94b6c37′]
**The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.**