Eggplant Parmesan is one of the true Italian classics. A dish that masterfully combines sauce, seasoning, breaded eggplant, and cheese, but so complicated to make! I always loved Eggplant Parmesan–when someone else made it. When it is my turn to make it, I have to put a twist on it, to make it easier, simpler and healthier. This vegan eggplant parmesan stack recipe uses plant-based yogurt cheese to maintain the creamy and cheesy. It is baked so, it is less in calories and fat. And I decided not to use any breadcrumbs because store brought breadcrumbs often does not have clean ingredients. You are welcome to make your own breadcrumbs for this recipe if you wish.
This vegan eggplant parmesan stack could be your ultimate go-to dinner party food. It is super easy to make, super tasty, amazing architecture, and a feel-good dish.
Eggplant has a unique texture and taste, and it is not liked by many. However, eggplants are a nutrient-dense food. It is low in calories, high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In addition, eggplants are high in antioxidants, especially rich in anthocyanins. A type of pigment with antioxidant properties that is responsible for the vibrant color.
Eating eggplants have many health benefits. It includes:
- Improve heart function and reduce LDL cholesterol and triglyceride level.
- Eggplants are high in fiber and polyphenol, which of which may help reduce blood sugar levels.
- Eggplants are high in fiber and low in calories, which make it a great weight loss food.
- Eggplant has polyphenols, which shown to have an anti-cancer effect.
- Eggplant has a significant amount of iron and copper, which are an essential component of red blood cells production.
Healthy swaps and compromise:
- No bread crumbs. Packaged breadcrumbs often contain high levels of corn syrup and sodium as well as potential allergens, such as wheat and sunflower seeds. If you do decide to purchase breadcrumbs from the store, be sure to read the ingredient list. Otherwise, you can also make your own.
- Mozzarella and ricotta cheese with plant-based yogurt cheese. This plant-based yogurt cheese provides a creamy texture. Almost like ricotta. I got this vegan cheese from the local farmers market.
- Baked instead of fried. Deep-fried foods are higher in calories than their baked counterparts, making fried foods a contributor to problems concerning weight management, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and some kinds of cancer.
Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Stacks
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 30 Minutes
Serving Size 2 People