Sweet and nutty, pizza dough twisted cinnamon rolls. It is super easy, quick, and no fuss to make. They will turn out just as delicious as homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch without all the work!
Pizza Dough Twisted Cinnamon Rolls
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time 25 Minutes
Serving Size 12
1 Pre-Made Store Brought Pizza Dough (~1 lb)
5 Tablespoon avocado oil or ghee butter
1/2 Cup Coconut sugar
2 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 Tablespoon of crushed nuts (or left over nut grind from nut milk. I used Macadamia nut for this recipe)
Extra flour for rolling (Any type of flour will do)
1. Preheat the oven at 375F.
2. Mix avocado oil with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extra and pour half of the mixture in a large baking pan. We will use the remaining half later.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together.
4. Roll out your dough with the extra flour on your work surface. If you want more bread-like, the thickness should be about 3/4 inches thick. If you want chewy and gooey texture, the thickness should be about 1/4 inches thick.
5. Brush the surface of the dough with avocado oil. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture and then spread the nut grind.
6. Starting at the long end closest to you, tightly roll the dough into a log (see below to learn how to make roll the perfect log). Cut the log into 12 rolls, about 1 1/2-inches each (see below to learn how to make the perfect cut). From here, you have three options of what to make: cinnamon roll, cinnamon twist, or cinnamon twin bun. To make a cinnamon roll, you can leave it as is at this point. To make a cinnamon twist, you give the roll a few twist. And to make a cinnamon twist bun, you will have to twist a few times and then stick the two ends together.
Before placing the final product into the baking pan, make sure you put alittle bite or flour in the pan to prevent sticking during baking. And make sure the rolls are about 2 inches apart from each other because they will expand.
7. Brush the remaining oil on top of the twist and then stick it to the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
And that is how you make delicious sweet and nutty pizza dough twisted cinnamon rolls!
How to cut cinnamon roll
Once your dough is rolled up, and you are ready to cut the roll, you will notice the log is pretty sticky. Use unflavored floss. Cross the ends of the floss over each other in a straight line and pull in opposite directions. This will give you a perfect, clean cut.
How to Form the Perfect Cinnamon Roll
If you are having trouble keeping the roll tight, try to use a flexible baking mat. All you need it alittle lift of the mat and the dough will do the rest of the work until you have a "log".
Cinnamon Roll Icing
For this recipe, I did not make icing because I felt like this treat was sweet enough. However, if you are looking for extra sweetness or creamy texture, here is what you can do.
- Drizzle some condensed milk
- Drizzle some maple syrup
- Make your own icing:
1 cup of coconut sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
This is an optional ingredient, but it adds great texture and flavor to the cinnamon bun.
You can either crush some nuts in your blender or use the leftover grind from your nut milk.