If you are looking for a healthier twist to golden crispy chicken wings, then you will love my air fryer breaded chicken wing recipe. There is something about the crunchy crispy breaded chicken wing that is so satisfying and making it so irresistible.
Air fryers are famous for making delicious and crispy food without all the oil and fat. It is lower in calories, and less fat compares to the traditional deep frying option. With an air fryer, you can make crispy breaded chicken wings that are healthier and without satisfying the taste.
These golden crispy air fryer breaded chicken wings are the perfect snack and appetizer that you can make within 30 minutes. It is golden crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. You can't even tell they are made in an air fryer. And the good news is these air fryer breaded wings are super easy to make, and you only need a handful of ingredients.
Why you will love my air fryer breaded chicken Wings recipe
- You can make this recipe within 30 minutes using fresh, thaw, or frozen wings.
- It is golden crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.
- You only need eight ingredients to make this recipe.
- Because it is made in an air fryer, it has less fat and calories compared to deep-fried.
Air fryer breaded chicken wings Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 2
- Grab two medium-size bowls. One will be for our dry mixture and one for our wet mix.
- Pat your thaw chicken wings dry.
- In the wet mixture bowl, crack and beat the eggs.
- In the dry mixture, mix the remaining ingredients together and mix well.
- Dipping the dried chicken wings into the dry mixture, then into the wet mixture, and then back into the dry mix again. Make sure it is coated evenly, and then give a good shake to shake off any excess flour. Then place it in the air fryer basket.
- Repeat the process until you fill up your air fryer basket. Make sure not to stack the chicken wings on top of each other. Leave a small gap in between each.
- Air frying at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until it is golden crispy to your liking. At 15 minutes, flip your wings over or give your air fryer basket a good shake. This makes sure the chicken wings don't get stuck to your air fryer and also make sure your chicken gets air-fried all around to get that golden crispiness.
- Take it out of the air fryer and enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce.
Note: If you only have frozen chicken wings or half thaw chicken wings, read below on how to thaw them faster and make this recipe.
Tips For Making Crispy Air fryer Breaded Chicken Wings
- Depends on your wings, you may need to pat your chicken wings dry with a paper towel. I highly recommend that you do this with previously frozen wings or wings that come pre-packaged. These types of wings usually come with excess liquid and may even have ice glazed on them. You want to pat the wings dry and remove as much moisture as possible to form a crispy chicken wing.
- To make crispy air fryer chicken, you have to make sure each chicken wings are coated evenly with egg and flour mixture. If you don't coat evenly, the area that is not coated won't be crispy.
- To make it crispy, I don't recommend that you make air fryer frozen chicken wings directly. Thaw it first, pat them dry, and then air fries them.
- Before making chicken wings, make sure that your air fryer is clean. If you had air-fried something in it previously, the chicken wings might pick up leftover flavor residue from your previous cooking. Also, be sure to clean your air fryer after making the chicken wings because they will leave a little mess behind. Learn how to clean your air fryer here.
How To Make Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
While you can make air fryer frozen chicken wings, I find that it works better with dry rubs or heating up pre-cooked frozen chicken wings rather than breaded chicken wings made from scratch. Frozen chicken wings often have a ton of excess water, and once you start air frying, that excess water will leak to the bottom of your air fryer basket. This can cause steam in the air fryer, which is not optimal for crispiness, especially when it is coated with flour. With frozen chicken wings, you will also run into the risk of under or overcook your chicken wings.
If you insist on making air fryer frozen chicken wings, you will need to do some extra work. Place your frozen chicken wings into the air fryer basket and air fry at 350F for about 10 minutes to defrost. Then remove your wings into a plate to get them cool down and pat dry. From there, you can follow the instruction above.
Before you follow the instruction above, make sure you check your air fryer basket at the end to see how much excess water is on the bottom of the air fryer basket. If there is any excess water, you will need to remove the liquid and then continue air frying or follow my recipe above. With frozen chicken wings, you will need to cook a bit longer than thaw chicken.
How To Thaw Chicken Wings Fast
To get the ultimate crispy air fryer chicken wings, I recommend that you thaw your frozen chicken wings the night before and place them in the fridge to defrost. However, if you don't have enough time or decided to make chicken wings at the last min and you only have frozen chicken wings, here are some options you can try to thaw them faster:
- Thaw in room or cold water. Put your frozen chicken wings in a zip lock bag and place the bag into a large bowl that is filled with cold or room temperature water. Then use something heavy to submerge the bag. You may need to change the water every 30 minutes and turn the bag over occasionally.
Tip: Do NOT use warm water. Warm water could cook your chicken wings early and allow chemicals to leach from the plastic bag into your chicken. Also, do not place your frozen chicken wings directly into the water because if you want crispy wings, you want less moisture in the chicken.
- Thaw in a microwave. Using the defrost setting on your microwave is the fastest way to thaw your frozen chicken wings.
Tip: if you use this method, you will need to cook your chicken wings right away, or else they are at a higher chance of being spoiled.
- Thaw in an air fryer. Place your frozen chicken wings in the air fryer and air fry for 10 minutes at 350F or until a visible thaw. From there, you can prepare it based on how you like it.
Tip: When defrosting in an air fryer, you may notice there is water on the bottom of your air fryer basket tray from the ice crystals melting from your frozen chicken wings. Before cooking your chicken again, drain the water from the basket.
Can you stack chicken wings in an air fryer
No, I do not recommend that you stack the breaded wings in an air fryer with this recipe because the coating will expand and get stuck together. Plus, the whole concept of an air fryer is worked based on airflow. If you stack the breaded chicken wings on top of each other, it won't air-fry evenly. If you want the crispiest air fryer breaded chicken wings, do a single layer and give them a small space in between.
Are Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Wings Healthy
Crispy breaded chicken wings are pretty irresistible but are they healthy? Compare to deep-fried breaded chicken wings, air fryer breaded chicken wings are much healthier. It contains less fat and fewer calories than deep-fried. However, keep in mind that even though chicken wings contain protein, the skin and the fat is not so great for your health.
When it comes to chicken wings, I always go with the organic option. While organic is slightly pricier than non-organic or regular, they contain less fat and more omega 3 fatty acid.
Recipes You May Like