This incredibly delicious air fryer fried honey glazed chicken is super crunchy, and it is full of flavor. It is a little sweet, a little salty, and a little garlicky. It is crispy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. It is everything you can dream of and more.
To make this delicious crispy honey fried chicken, you only need a handful of ingredients, and it is super easy to make in an air fryer. Not to mention, compared to deep-fried chicken, air fryer fried chicken is much healthier. It contains fewer calories and fat.
What You Will Need To Make Air Fryer Fried Honey Glazed Chicken
Chicken breast is the leanest option, and it is the healthiest option. But chicken thighs offer the most flavor. Chicken thighs are fattier, so they will come out more juicy and tender! Which option to go with is a personal preference. Both are delicious.
If you are going with chicken thighs, it is a personal preference to use boneless, skinless, either or neither. You can also use a mix between thighs and drumsticks.
When shopping for chicken, go for the organic and free-range options. It is healthier for you, better for the environment, and happier chicken.
A Dry Mixture For Coating
To make the crispy coating, I made a blend of flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground ginger, and turmeric. The ground turmeric will give the crispy chicken its golden color.
You can use any type of flour to make this recipe. For a gluten-free option, you can use oat flour, coconut flour, or any nut flour.
A Wet Mixture
To make the wet mixture, I used coconut milk. The wet mixture will help the dry mixture stick to the chicken. If coconut milk is not available, you can use buttermilk, oat milk, or eggs.
To make a more flavorful honey-fried chicken, I recommend that you marinate the chicken by coating it with half of the spices and coconut aminos. Coconut aminos offer a sweeter soy sauce-like sauce that's packed with umami flavor. It is the perfect ingredient to use to marinate the chicken.
To make honey-glazed, you will need raw honey! To make it a little more exciting, add some red chili pepper and mix. To thin it out just a little, add a touch of orange or lemon juice, and mix with a whisk or spoon.
Honey is best to enjoy raw and not heated because you can reduce the nutritional value it has got to offer. Raw honey is packed with antioxidant properties, antibacterial and antifungal power, prebiotics, and it is an immune booster. The benefits of raw honey are endless.
If you don't feel like mixing anything, you can drizzle honey directly onto the air fryer chicken.
air fryer fried honey glazed chicken
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Passive Time: 30 Minutes
Serving Size: 3
~ 2 LB Chicken Thighs and/or drumsticks
2 Cup Coconut Milk
Red Chili flakes (Optional)
In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients together and mix well. Then add your chicken and toss to make sure it is coated in the mixture. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- In a mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl and pour coconut milk.
- Take out marinated chicken and dip it into the dry mixture. Make sure it is well coated and give it a shake to shake off any excess. Then dip into the coconut milk and then back into the dry mixture. Transfer the chicken into the air fryer basket when it is coated. Repeat for all the other pieces.
- Air fry at 400F for 10 minutes, and then pull the air fryer basket out. Give the air fryer basket a good shake, or flip the chicken over to air fry evenly. Once it's flipped, air fry for another 10 minutes or until it is golden. If you are cooking with bone-in thighs, you will need to cook a bit for longer.
- While your air fryer fried chicken is cooking, make your sauce. Mix honey with chili and a splash of orange juice to thin it out.
- When the air-fried chicken is done, brush on the honey or drizzle it on.
- You can make this crispy honey-fried chicken recipe on the stovetop by frying the coated chicken in oil. When the chicken finishes frying, drizzle honey on top.
- You can also make the honey-fried chicken recipe in the oven at 400F for about 40 minutes. You will need to spray each piece of chicken with oil and bake until it cooks through and golden brown. When the chicken is done, drizzle the honey sauce on top.
- The bone-in chicken will take a little longer to air fry than boneless.
- To avoid getting soggy fried chicken, make sure you don't overcrowd the air fryer basket nor stacking the chicken on top of each other.
- For the true garlic fans, add fresh minced garlic to the dry mixture.
You will need to clean your air fryer after cooking these honey glazed chicken. Click to learn how to clean an air fryer.