Enjoying some delicious salmon fried rice with all leftovers. The best thing about leftover rice is to use it the next day and make it into fried rice. Swirl in some eggs, chopped vegetables, salmon, and soy sauce, you will have some delicious salmon fried rice that will satisfy the whole family. A lot of umami flavor in a meal that cooked under 30 minutes. My kind of comfort food that is easy to make, affordable, and a great way to reduce food waste.
I love making fried rice because you can add in pretty much anything from leftover proteins to greens. I used carrot tops as my greens for this recipe because no food goes to waste over here. You can certainly add other types of vegetables like bok choy, spinach, broccoli, or any other types of vegetables. For protein, you can use any type you want, from chicken to tofu. You can use any leftover proteins or add new ones. For this fried rice recipe, I used leftover baked salmon.
Salmon Fried Rice
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 4
~ 2 Cup Cooked Rice
3 Eggs Beaten
2 Cups Cooked Wild Salmon Chunks
1/2 Small Lemon
1 Cup Greens (Bok choy, spinach, Carrot Top, broccoli and/or cabbage)
1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 Whole Green Onion Chopped
Red Chili Pepper
1. In a medium/ large stir fry pan, pour in your avocado oil and heat it on medium heat for about a minute.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then pour into your heated pan and scramble it.
3. Once your eggs are in solid form, add in your cooked rice. If you are using raw salmon, you will put the salmon first. Let the salmon cook with an egg. Once the salmon is cooked, cut into small pieces and then add cooked rice.
4. Stir your egg, salmon, and rice together. Then pour in your soy sauce, red chili pepper, and greens. Stir fry until your greens are done.
5. Once your greens are cooked. Turn the stove off and squeeze in lemon juice and chopped green onion. Make sure you stir your fried rice and mix it in.
For the above salmon fried rice, I used broccoli, sugar snap peas, and spinach.
Why is leftover rice better for fried rice?
Many people notice the difference between fried rice cooked with leftover rice and freshly made cooked rice. Many find the leftover taste much better. Leftover cooked rice that has been left in the fridge overnight, the grain will firm up, it is dryer, and it is less starchy. So that makes leftover rice much easier to stir fry. Freshly cooked rice contains moisture. They tend to be softer, mushy, and stick together.
How To Store Left Over Salmon Fried Rice
To store your leftover salmon fried rice, simply leave it in a tight seal container and refrigerate up to 3-4 days.
To reheat, either microwave or heat it up in a pan with a drizzle of avocado oil.