If you are not familiar with scallion pancake, it is a Chinese savory flatbread with oil and scallion. Unlike American pancake, scallion pancake is made from dough instead of batter. Traditional scallion pancake is vegan and vegetarian-friendly.
Today, my mother made my favorite spicy scallion pancakes and here is how you can make your own:
Simple Chinese Scallion Pancakes Recipe (Vegan)
2 1/2 cups of white flour
1 cup warm water
Extra virgin olive oil or spicy chili oil
1 bunch Scallion
- Make the dough and let it rest: Mix flour with warm water to form a dough. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Coat the dough lightly with olive oil and put it in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough: cut the dough into 6 equal parts. Roll out the dough into a pie and as thinly. Spread olive oil on top. If you are into spicy food, you can substitute for spicy chili oil.
- Chop the scallion: Finely chop the bunch of scallions and spread it around the pie.
- Roll up the dough: Roll up the dough tightly and then around like a cinnamon bun.
- Roll out the dough again: Roll the dough round and thin again.
- Time to cook it: In a large skillet, heat up peanut oil at medium heat. Just enough to cover the pan. Then place the pancake dough in the skillet and then cover the pan with a cover. Once the dough starts to turn golden brown, flip it over. Once both sides are golden brown, it is ready to be served!
If you made spicy scallion pancakes, I wouldn’t recommend dipping it in any sauce. If you made original scallion pancakes, I recommend you make some dipping sauce to go with it.
For the dipping sauce, you can mix vinegar, sugar and soy sauce together.