A quick and easy veggie egg in a basket is a fun and delicious breakfast food. Whether you are making it for yourself or your kid for breakfast or Easter Sunday brunch, this veggie egg in a basket never disappoints. Not to mention, this egg basket is vibrant, and it sure will be the centerpiece for any occasion.
Back when I was in college, I loved making eggs in a basket for breakfast. It is cheap, easy, delicious, and it fuels you right up. Plus, it is on-the-go friendly. It is perfect for anyone who has the on the go lifestyle. But when I am not on the go, I like to make a slightly healthier and slightly fancier egg in baskets and enjoy it with my husband. This veggie egg basket is the perfect breakfast recipe for two, and it is gluten-free friendly!
What is Eggs In A Basket?
Most people know an egg in a basket as an egg in a hole or Popeyes. If you have never heard of this before, you may not be alone. But you will need to give eggs in a basket a try to understand why people love it.
Eggs in a basket are typically crispy bread slices with a runny egg in the center. It is made with a bread slice that has a hole in the center. Cut a hole either by using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter. It is then placed in a skillet and cracked an egg into the hole. As you fry the eggs, bread slices will toast. Within minutes, you will have an egg in a basket breakfast dish ready to be served.
Veggie Egg In A Basket Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Passive Time: 10 Minutes
Serving Size: 4
1 Medium Russet Potato Peeled, Thinly shredded
1 Full-Size Small Carrot or 1/2 Medium carrot Peeled, Thinly Shredded
2 Tablespoon potato starch or flour
Black Sesame & green onion for toppings
Pin of Salt and pepper to taste
Avocado Oil For Cooking
- Peel and shred the potato. See below how to shred the vegetables.
- Place the shredded potato in a bowl and soak in cold water for about 10 minutes to remove excess starch. An optional step but recommended.
- While soaking shredded potatoes, shred your carrot.
- When your potato time is up, drain the water, rinse, and pad shredded potato dry with a towel.
- In a mixing bowl, add shredded carrot, potato, potato starch, a drizzle of oil, and salt. Mix well.
- In a frying pan or skillet, heat avocado oil at medium-low heat. Then add the shredded vegetables into the pan and form a donut-like shape with a hole in the middle. Try to form as compact of a nest as possible. Form four baskets.
- Crack an egg in the middle of each basket and turn down the heat to low. Sprinkle some sesames and let them cook until the eggs are cooked to your preference. It should take about 8-10 minutes to cook, depending on how runny you want your eggs.
- Then remove it from the stove and out of the pan. Sprinkle green onion.
- The thinner you shred your potato, the easier it is to cook. If you shred the potato too thick, it won't be fully cooking in the same time frame as your egg. If you worry the potato won't cook in the same time frame as your egg, you can boil for a few minutes in boiled water.
- This recipe is perfect for two!
- Don't have time to watch over the stove? You can make this eggs basket in large cupcake holders or small ceramic cups and bake them in the oven.
- Do not try to flip the basket over because you will not have the perfect sunny side-up egg.
Yield: 4 Serving size: 1
Amount per serving: Calories: 109 calories. Total Fat: 4.4g, Saturated Fat 1.4g. Cholesterol: 164mg. Sodium: 72mg. Total Carbohydrate: 12.3g. Dietary fiber: 1.1g. Total Sugar: 1.8g. Protein: 6.7g.
**The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. Calculated without toppings, cooking oil, and salt & pepper.**
Why soak the potato in water before cooking?
Soaking the potato in cold water will help remove excess starch, which will allow you to cook the potato evenly. By soaking it will also help prevent your potato from turning brown. This is an optional but recommended step.
How Long To Soak Shredded Potatoes?
Because we are soaking shredded potatoes, you can soak them for about 10 minutes instead of hours or overnight.
What If My potato is not cooked?
If you followed my directions above and your potato is not fully cooked, you can either leave it on the stove for longer or flip it over. While you won't have the perfect sunny-side-up egg, you will want to make sure your potato is cooked.
What Other Vegetables Can I Use To Make Basket Eggs?
You can use other vegetables to make these eggs in a basket dish. Other vegetables I recommend include beet, sweet potato, or zucchini. You can use a combination of them or only use the only type of vegetable.
How To Shred The Vegetables
There are four different ways you can shred the vegetables.
Mandoline- Produces long and thin slices.
Box Grater-- The least expensive option.
Spiralizer- If you spiralize the vegetables, you don't need to cut them into shorter pieces.
How is this veggie egg basket healthier than a traditional egg basket?
Traditional egg baskets use bread slices like sourdough bread. This veggie egg basket is made with potato and carrot. While both options contain carbohydrates, not all carbohydrates are created equal. When it comes to bread versus potato, potato is a better option because it does not contain gluten, lower in calories, and leave behind an alkaline residue. Not to mention the additional vitamins and minerals both potato and carrots naturally offer.